Thursday, August 17, 2006

All Around The World

One of my fears is that I'm growing up without seeing the world.

I'm afraid that one day I'll suddenly realise that I'm 40 years old, married with two kids and a white picket fence, and that I've never seen Italy. I've never seen France. I've never seen Germany. I've never been back to London at an age where I can appreciate it.
I want to see all of those places and more.

I wish I could just quit my job, quit my life, and take off around the world.

Don't get me wrong. I like my job and the people there are great. I love my fiancée and my family. But I long for more. The next 40 years of my life cannot be spent going to work, coming home, and sleeping. Repeat, endlessly.
I need to experience more, and I need to do it when I'm still relatively young.

You can take off from life at 25... it's a lot harder to do so at 35.

I love the fact that I'm getting married. I love the fact that having steady jobs will allow my fiancée and I to buy a condo downtown and spend our weekends sipping coffees on Bay Street when so many other people never get those things. Being "sensible" not spending all of our money on trips and adventures will be a huge advantage in the long run.

But I can't help but think that I need to do more... to see more.

Having a wife and children and a white picket fence would be amazing.

Having a wife and children and a white picket fence after you spent a year travelling Europe? I can't think of anything better.

4 comments:

Robert said...

Go. Get that out of your system. Only "settle down" when you are ready to make the sacrifices required.

Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
-Lord Chesterfield

Anonymous said...

Been there done that. Never traveled, got married, have the kids and the, well not white picket, but the fence. Wish I did it sooner, and I no longer regret not traveling.

As I age I realize that you can't live worrying about what you'll regret. Make a decision, live with the consequences, and most importantly make the most of that decision. If you go travel the world, make the most of the experience. AND DO THE SAME if you get married first.

One last thing, having kids made the daily grind of working, eating, sleeping, *REPEAT* livable again. I now have a reason for doing that grind. I love my life, and I have no regrets.

Rick said...

Thanks a lot for the comments guys.

Anonymous said...

Rick:

Go for it. Especially if you have a person you love to do it with. Life really is too short and you never know what will happen tomorrow. What if you were to wake up one morning to find out that your health would not allow you to travel or walk long distances. Jobs come and go, bills will always be there to pay and I am sure a condo in Toronto won't be hard to find when you come back. Do Europe now and when you have kids you can do the Disney Land trips with them.

Good luck to you and congratulations on your engagement.

SHO ©Green Blogger Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOP