Tuesday, January 24, 2006

"Don't Blame Me, I voted for Kodos!"

So this is the way the world ends.....

Not so bad actually. 21 seat majority, with the Liberals still over 100 seats. If it had to end, this is the best possible way for it to end. The Bloc lost seats, the NDP gained them, and I love Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal! (=


I'm proud of the Liberal party. They didn't die, and they outperformed many expectations, including my own. BRAVO!

But with the defeat, Paul Martin is stepping down.

I've never been a fan of Martin as leader, seeing as how I was a huge Chretien supporter, but it leaves me a little sad that he'll be gone.

He seemed to have a true passion for Canada, even if he didn't know how to lead a party. (=

His consession speech last night was the best speech I've ever seen him give. Maybe it's because he was relaxed, or because he could speak without worrying about the polls, I don't know. But it was a great speech.

On the other hand, Harper's speech still sort of scared me. He seemed to pay a lot of attention to Alberta, the west, and Quebec, paying only lip service to Ontario. Perhaps it's because we didn't elect enough of his party.... I don't know. Maybe I'm just dreaming up scariness out of no where.

The whole thanking the troops in Afghanistan thing, while possibly noble, does scare me a bit, since Harper seems to want a more active military, which I don't think we need. I have nothing but respect for the troops, but mentioning them in his speech was a little weird. Unless he's trying to show his support for them after the whole "Soldiers. With guns. On our streets" fiasco.

And "God Bless Canada?"

I don't like that at all.




Regardless, hopefully the Liberals find themselves a dynamic new leader, preferably one who is not Ignatieff (I don't think he's the new leader this party needs right now... maybe some other time) and in the next election, whenever that may be, they regain the throne.

Until then, I'll be bracing for the drastic changes that I hope are kept in check by the slim minority.

No comments:

SHO ©Green Blogger Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOP